c. A.D. 1040. Stigand to (Bury) St Edmunds; grant in reversion of land at Playford, Suffolk, after the death of Ælfgar, priest. English.
Archive: Bury St Edmunds
MSS: Cambridge, U.L., Ff. 2. 33, 50r (s. xiii2)
Printed: K 978; Robertson, Charters, no. 92 (p. 178), with translation, p. 179.
Comments: Robertson, Charters, pp. 424-6, date 1040 attributd to grant in list of Bury benefactors; Hart, ECEE, no. 91, authentic, the estate did not descend with the charter; Pelteret 1995, p. 167.
Notes: Issued in duplicate, with copies retained by Stigand and Bury.
[H]er suyteleþ on þise wrtte wilke forwarde Stigand and Alger his prest Wrouhten þo he let him þat lond to hande at Playford . þat is þat Alger prest habbe þat lond his day . and ouer his day ; fonge Stigand þerto gif he leng libbe . and ouer here boþere day ; go þat lond into seynt Eadmunde mid mete and mid manne and mid alle þinge so it þanne tyled beth . buten alken gentale . and he it ne may neyþer ne forsegen ne forwerken . þis aren .ii. witnesse . Alfric bisscop . 7 Vui Abbot . 7 al se hird binnen seynt Eadmundes biri . and Stigand an'd' Aelfwine Wluardes sune . 7 Alfric Withgares sune . 7 Eadric and Ordger . 7 Lemmer and manie oþere . þise wrtte sinden tua . on is binnen seynt Eadmundes biri . 7 oþer hauið Stigand.
Here is declared in this document the agreement that Stigand and Ælfgar his priest have made when he let him the estate at Playford, namely that Ælfgar the priest should hold the estate for his lifetime, and after his death Stigand should resume possession of it, if he survived. And after the death of both of them it shall pass without controversy to St Edmunds with its produce and its men and everything as it was supplied. And he can neither lose it by a lawsuit nor forfeit it. Two of the witnesses of this are Bishop Ælfric and Abbot Ufi, also all the community at Bury St Edmunds, and Stigand and Ælfwine, Wulfweard's son, and Ælfric, Wihtgar's son, and Eadric and Ordgar and Leofmær and many others. There are two of these documents; one is at Bury St Edmunds and Stigand has the other.